Friction Game Review - November 2018 - by Ericca M.



What’s up game fans? I’m back with yet another Friction Game Review. The holiday season is in full effect and it brings back so many memories of the games I enjoyed playing during the holiday breaks from school. One in particular, is Syphon Filter.

Syphon Filter was released on the original Playstation back in 1999, which seems like it was ages ago. I was 12 years old back then and I was heavily into dark, shooting games already (i.e., Resident Evil, Dino Crisis). Syphon Filter is a third person shooter stealth game, which came equipped with the dopest controls known to man back then. Night vision view, stealth controls (crouching, rolling, bending corners) things like that that made the game play a lot more interesting.

The overall plot of the game centers around two special agents; Gabriel Logan and Lian Xing. The United States government assigns them to catch Erich Rhoemer, an international terrorist.

As stated before, the gameplay is mostly focused on stealth-based tactics. As you search for the terrorist, you have to do your best to remain undetected, this means you have use silenced weapons or lethal sneak attacks. As you continue through levels, shooting and killing enemies, you will find yourself having to solve a few puzzles. It takes some real hard thinking, and at that point, I couldn’t just Google or Youtube my way through the puzzles either. I had to legit find solutions on my own.

My favorite part about this game is the fact that there’s non-stop action. I never came to a point where I was just so bored that I had to cut the game off abruptly. No, this is literally one of those games where I fell asleep playing a few times because I wasn’t ready to turn the game off. It’s funny because when I think of playing the game now, I’m absolutely certain that I’d be turned off by the dated graphics and subpar controls. But at the time of it’s release, this thing was a beast!

I would definitely recommended this game to those who want to blow the dust off the old Playstation and take a stroll down memory lane. Syphon Filter is like Call of Duty before there was a Call of Duty and that statement alone should be enough for you to play it if you haven’t already.
Gamers unite! If you’ve got a recommendation for a game you’d like me to review, shoot me an email at thefrictionmag@gmail.com, ATTN: Game Review Request and I’ll play and review your game in an upcoming issue.


Initial Release Date: February 17, 1999
Series: Syphon Filter
Developers: Sony Interactive Entertainment, SIE Bend Studio
Platforms: PlayStation, PlayStation 3, Android, PSP
Genres: Third-person shooter, Stealth game
Publishers: Sony Interactive Entertainment, 989 Studios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lace Diaries - Entry Four - by JeDonna Mathis

KING 810: Sex, Gunn, & Rock 'N Roll; An Interview with David Gunn