Friction Game Review: GTA San Andreas - by Ericca M.


What’s up game fans? We’re back with another Friction Game Review. I’ve got to say that every month it gets easier and easier to write these game reviews because I’ve done a better job of making sure that at least once a month, I play one game all the way through. Even if I’m replaying a classic, that way I can give you guys thorough descriptions to along with my honest opinion of whatever game I’m reviewing.

If you’re a fan of Rockstar Games, you’re in for a treat. I recently replayed one of my all time favorite games (next to the Resident Evil series). Grand Theft Auto San Andreas was released back in October of 2004. I remember being so hype about receiving it as a gift from my older sister the following Christmas. I played that game day in and day out until I passed every mission and even after that, I went back and replayed the entire game. Once I completed it the second time, I just rode around shooting people, robbing restaurants and blowing up bikes and cars.

What I really like about this game is that it gives you a ‘Boyz N The Hood’ vibe. The main character Carl returns home from Liberty City and returns to his old neighborhood after his mother’s murder. He reunites with his homies and from there, the adventure begins.

Another aspect of this game that I enjoyed was the fact that the character is forced to re-learn skills that he had before, that were lost when he moved to Liberty City. The first task is riding a bike and we learn that lesson through a series of bumps, falls, and getting shot to death a few times. It’s hard enough trying to ride a bike as your character is being shot at, but when you throw in a mix of heavy traffic and your crew ahead of you taking shortcuts through alleyways and underground tunnels, it’s a recipe for disaster.

I also enjoyed the storyline. It’s very reminiscent of all of the 90’s hood movies that I watched growing up. Carl deals with the murder of his mother, corrupt police officers, friends that can’t seem to get their lives in order, as well as family drama stemming from the death of his mother. Throughout the game, he slowly but surely uncovers the truth about his mother as well as the fact that all of his homies, aren’t really his homies.

The only thing I don’t like about the game is that sometimes the wonky ass controls get you killed a few times before you can pass a mission. I also don’t like the fact that I can’t skip certain missions. I mean, I’m all for earning trophies and playing games the old school way but some of those missions were flat out stupid.

I highly recommend San Andreas to anybody who’s looking to keep themselves busy for the weekend. It’s definitely one of those games that keeps you coming back.



Release Date: October 26, 2004
Developer: Rockstar North
Publisher: Rockstar Games
Producer: Leslie Benzies
Programmers: Obbe Vermei, Adam Fowler

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lace Diaries - Entry Four - by JeDonna Mathis

KING 810: Sex, Gunn, & Rock 'N Roll; An Interview with David Gunn