Video Game Review: Babysitter Bloodbath - by Ericca M.



        Just in time for Halloween, I booted up my old Windows laptop and decided to play “Babysitter Bloodbath” for the first time. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the game, it gained immense popularity over the last four years via YouTube video walkthroughs/gameplay.

The creators of the game, Pigfarm Productions, develop games that are all dedicated to 80’s slasher films. Babysitter Bloodbath is obviously a nod to John Carpenter’s 1978 classic, Halloween. Much like in the movie, a couple enlists an unsuspecting girl to babysit their young child. The young lady ultimately becomes prey to a maniacal killing machine.

Now let’s move on to the actually gameplay. Controlling the main character was kind of difficult, seeing as I was controlling her with my computer keys and not a controller. That alone made me particularly uneasy. All I could think about was the possibility of the killer emerging from the darkness and me running my character right into a wall. Talk about a stupid way to die.

Another unsettling aspect of the game was the fact that you have this little shit running around the house while the phone rings off the hook. It’s already hard enough to get Sarah to move in the right direction without having to run into Billy every second. When I finally got her into the kitchen to answer the phone, she picked it up and some creepy guy was breathing heavily into the phone. It was in that moment that I knew, soon my ass would be a goner. So of course, there were a bunch of jump scares leading up to the moment that Sarah’s boyfriend shows up. They exchanged some corny dialogue and then suddenly the lights went out. Holy shit! I couldn’t even contain the horror that I was feeling. I’d seen these kind of movies a million times and I knew what to expect once that happened. And sure enough, they heard a strange noise and the boyfriend went out to investigate. After a while, I was instructed to go out into the backyard and search for him. Absolutely not! Eventually I worked up the courage to head out of the door because there was no moving forward without checking the backyard.

     I moved my character outside and of course, she finds her boyfriend stabbed to death. That’s when the eerie music started and the killer appeared and my lovely keyboard controls determined my fate. I was dead before I could get back into the house. Poor little Billy was left all alone in the house, meanwhile two idiots are dead in the backyard and the killer is nowhere to be found.

Well folks, there you have it, another honest, detailed game review. If you’re looking for a good scare this Halloween, I encourage you to give “Babysitter Bloodbath” a try. Just make sure you get plenty of practice with the keyboard controls beforehand.


SYSTEM: WINDOWS, MAC
GENRE: Survival Horror, Slasher
RELEASE: December 2013
DEVELOPER: Pigfarm Productions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lace Diaries - Entry Four - by JeDonna Mathis

KING 810: Sex, Gunn, & Rock 'N Roll; An Interview with David Gunn