Game Review for September 2017 - By: Ericca M.


I’m a little late to the game but I figured that it isn’t too late to review the latest installment of the Tekken series, Tekken 7. T7 is a continuation of the storyline from Tekken 6 (the war between the Mishima Zaibatsu and G Corporation is still going on and Jin Kazama is still missing). Enter an investigative journalist who lost his wife and son during the war that Jin started, who gives us a little background on the G Corporation.

Now that we’ve got the plot out of the way, I can discuss the game play. I like to play as Marshall Law, it’s sort of been that way for years. While he doesn’t have the best power moves, I enjoy the fact that this player strikes some powerful kicks and punches that drain his opponents’ energy significantly, which I can appreciate. Anybody like me who is a Bruce Lee fan, can also appreciate the fact that he doesn’t hold back any of those high pitched sound effects while he’s fighting. Can I get a HIII-YAHH?!

Another standout character for me, particularly in T7, is Jack-7. In previous games, all he was to me was a character that little kids loved to use during an arcade match because of his “hulk-smash” like power moves. The character has actually advanced a tad bit in T7, the higher his skills become, the cooler he is to play with. It could just be that I’ve never given him a chance to advance but I was very impressed when he did. T7 changed my mind about the character significantly.

I also really enjoyed the fact that the game play is still action packed and there’s no shortage of energy and fun while you’re pressing controller buttons as hard and as vigorously as you can (as if that somehow makes your fighter peform better).

I’d say the only real down side, (which really isn’t a down side at all) is that they stay very true to tradition. Most of the original characters are still a part of the game, the ‘people at war/holding grudges’ story mode is still intact and most of the characters still have the same moves. Essentially, you’re just playing a classic with better graphics which isn’t make or break for this game.

Much like Mortal Kombat, a gamer like myself can enjoy the fact that not much has changed. You’re still going to be able to kick some ass in private matches held in your living room or bedroom. I suggest getting plenty of practice alone before inviting your friend or sibling to a match. Get to know the controls, play a couple rounds in easy mode and you’ll be just fine. Playing this game is just like riding a bike; you never truly forget how to.

I’d like to thank Namco for giving us fighter game fanatics plenty of entertainment for 20 plus years. The Tekken series will go down in history as one of the world’s most legendary games and that is truly something to be proud of.

Well there you have it folks, another honest, real, raw video game review. If you like to read my video game reviews every month, feel free to drop me a line at thefrictionmag@gmail.com. And if you have an idea for a game you’d like me to review, again, shoot me an email.



Series: Tekken
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Platform(s): Arcade, Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release: Arcade JP: March 18, 2015
JP: July 5, 2016 (FR)
Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Worldwide Release: June 2, 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lace Diaries - Entry Four - by JeDonna Mathis

KING 810: Sex, Gunn, & Rock 'N Roll; An Interview with David Gunn