Video Game Review for June 2017 - by Ericca M.



Like most lovers of the horror video game genre, I was pretty excited when Illfonic annouced that they were working on a Friday the 13th project. They weren’t too specific with the details at first, but one fact about the game that they did reveal to the public right away was that players would be allowed to play as Jason.

Now for those of you that don’t remember, there was a Friday the 13th game released back in the 1980’s and as you can imagine it was very pixel heavy with bright puke green and blue backgrounds. Jason basically resembled a bobblehead LEGO monster, the soundtrack was straight from a Casio keyboard...I could go on and on.

However, this updated version is truly frightening. I loved the fact that I could play as either Jason or a camp counselor. Of course, playing the game as a counselor was a lot more frightening than playing as the iconic killer.

My first round lasted about seven minutes before I was impaled with a rod...definitely not my best gaming performance. I enjoyed the soundtrack, the high quality graphics and the character controls are decent, not to mention the haunting sound of Mrs. Voorhees encouraging her son to kill the counselors every time one of them breaks free or hits him with a weapon.

Now, I’m not one to give a game praise just because I’m in love with the franchise. There’s bad aspects to every game I’ve played and Friday the 13th is no exception. Brace yourself readers, these issues may be make or break as far as your decision to purchase this game.

1. This game is ONLINE-ONLY.
I mean, what the fuck? This really pissed me off because a game like this should definitely have some kind of physical copy lying around or something. Physical copies
aren’t even an option at this point and the company isn’t sure when they’ll be available.

2. NO CAMPAIGN MODE!
Seriously, I mean, what kind of douchebags would provide us with a game this cool without an option for a little offline gaming, two player mode, something we can really enjoy...come on now.

3. QUICKPLAY seems to be broken/slow for XBox One and PS4.
Time out...what is an online only game worth if you can never join a session? The first time I played, I was able to join one right off bat. The second, third, and forth, I was waiting forever and eventually started playing GTA 5 while I did.

Well folks, there you have it; an honest, frustrating, exciting review. The best advice that I can give you is to wait until the campaign and offline modes are available to spend that $40. Until then, keep it in your pocket or spend on it another game that might actually be worth your while.

RATING: 5/10


Credits:
Initial release date: May 26, 2017
Engine: Unreal Engine
Publisher: Gun Media
Designer: Ronnie Hobbs
Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows
Developers: Gun Media, IllFonic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Lace Diaries - Entry Four - by JeDonna Mathis

KING 810: Sex, Gunn, & Rock 'N Roll; An Interview with David Gunn